Friday, July 31, 2020

Thoughts from Psalm 103

Do you know that you are chosen and loved? Really loved? Really chosen? Are you living that way as you go about each day?

I encourage you to read Psalm 103. That is where my heart is today. I love that Psalm 103 has David speaking to himself and his own heart. I relate to David a great deal. I overthink. I wrestle. I contemplate. Every. Single. Detail. Then I resort to what my heart knows as truth. It may take me a minute to get back there--but in knowing that I belong to Him--there is comfort.

When I was growing up, friendships were few and far between. I was an old soul with strong opinions (still the same gal) who moved all the time. I was desperate for others to like me--so much so that I often tried too hard. Entered into conversations I shouldn't, laughed when I shouldn't have--all in the desire to connect and feel chosen and loved. While I knew Jesus growing up--I didn't know He was really all I needed. That He chose me. He loved me. That realization allowed for real, honest and vulnerable connections with other women.

Can you remember back to the days of elementary when teams would be picked for red rover or dodgeball? Ever been the last one picked? I think that is what my brain reverts back to when we think of being 'chosen'. Can I let you in on a little secret? That is not how God chose you. There was no haphazard chaos in Him choosing you. He died on the cross with His arms outstretched with you specifically in mind. Though we wander, doubt and reject this truth, we are chosen by God. Jennifer Rothschild puts it so eloquently, "God didn't choose to love you because you were lovely, He loved you and then you became lovely."

There are three things I know to be true about God's love for us. His very nature is love. It is not a characteristic of who He is. His love reaches every single aspect of our lives. Nothing can escape His love. Lastly, His love can never be stripped from us. Even from an enemy who seeks to destroy us.


In John 8:44, we see that Satan is the father of lies. Every single one of us could provide examples of ways the enemy is dead set on selling us a lie about who we are or what our purpose is. I can tell you personally, he knows the quickest ways to distract me. Losing focus of the journey God has me on can get me off tract quickly--if I don't stay grounded in the truth. In the biblical knowledge of who Jesus says I am is how I withstand the enemies attempts to have me forget that I am a chosen and loved daughter of the King. Adrian Rogers said this, “It is vitally important that you know the truth, believe the truth, tell the truth, and live the truth. Your life must be controlled by truth and integrity in warfare. Satan will try to send fiery 'lie-filled’ darts your way. And if your armor is loose—not held together by the belt of truth—then that lie will find a way through your armor.” His word is His truth. Study it. Meditate on it. Allowing satan to infiltrate your thoughts about yourself or your situation in any way can quickly cause you to feel defeated--finished before you even begin to play the game.

In Psalm 103, David goes from some of the deepest agony and wrestling in previous chapters of Psalms, to a posture of praise. His focus shifts off what he is facing or struggling with--and onto WHO he is speaking to. The utter splendor in which he reveres God is captured over and over in the Psalms. That is my reasoning for loving David--it's not that his struggles stop. They certainly do not. Yet over and over in the Psalms--he focuses on the power that God holds. The love of God. The love He repeatedly lavishes upon him. Upon us.

Reminding yourself of the fact that you are chosen and loved is a daily choice. A choice to believe the Father or believe the lies the enemy is pedaling. It's work and it's worth it. D. L. Moody said. “I’m not tired of the work…I’m tired in the work.” Getting to face each day with the knowledge that you are loved and chosen shifts your perspective off your situation or your own struggles onto the One who loves you. It has nothing to do with us being lovely or lovable--it is all about His choice to choose us. Every time. Over and over. When I think about that love. I am undone. Y'all He chose you. He chose me. Shift your focus off of what you are facing in your world--to PRAISE for who He is and how deeply He loves you.

Oh how He loves you and me. Shift your focus to the One who will always choose you and always love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Would love to hear if you were blessed!

Blog Archive